November 11, 2008

The Election

I am writing this several days after the election, and I know it's not a "family adventure", but I couldn't not comment. Dave and I both voted absentee ballot in Pennsylvania. It was a little odd not to go vote on Election Day. But it was exciting to know that our votes made a difference (wouldn't have been true here in Texas), and we are excited at what this country has chosen to do. No matter what you think of Barack Obama's policies, he represents a sea-change -- we hope -- in the way this country sees itself, and we should all be thrilled and proud.

Our daughter will grow up with Obama as the first president she remembers, and therefore will never think that there is anything unusual in a man whose skin color is different than hers being president. And she will never think it is unusual for a woman to run, seriously, on a national ticket. That knowledge will just be part of the way she views the world, and that can only be a good thing.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Wha a great perspective - to think that Katie will see this inredible political change as normal, as the only way she's ever known! (For myself, I'm still so exited!!)